What was your most embarrassing moment in an interview?

Discussion in 'Get The Job' started by Trader07, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Trader07

Trader07 New Member

If you ever had one.

2. T77

T77 Revered Member

Alumni:
    Notts
    I was doing a mental calculation (something simple like 210 * 700) and left off a zero when I said the answer.

3. Tebbit

Tebbit New Member

Epic fail

finbyme likes this.
  4. finbyme

finbyme New Member Professional

Just drying up completely. It only happened once thank goodness. From the looks on their faces, the interviewers seemed to be finding it even more painful than I did.
    If I ever felt that situation happening again, I would slow my breathing - as when you do that the whole body relaxes and you can think clearly again.
    Tip: on the pause between the out breath and the in breath it's impossible to think of something unpleasant, so just for a moment go into that space and "reset" yourself.

Trigger and Canary Wharfian like this.
  5. ilovefrankee

ilovefrankee Revered Member Professional

(First post).

First round interview with an industry coverage team at a London bulge bracket - I was left completely stumped by a (relatively) simple brain teaser.

The question was as follows: "You are at a networking event with 500 other investors. What is the probability of you sharing a birthday with a minimum of one other attendee?".

Needless to say I spent about five minutes talking aloud to arrive at the answer (hint, it's 100%).

6. Trigger

Trigger Blessed

Alumni:
    Cass
    Industry:
    Technology
    Yeah that's an easy one. Probability of meeting with someone who shares your birthday is 1/365. Given its 500 people at the event it's definitely going to happen. Am I correct?

7. ilovefrankee

ilovefrankee Revered Member Professional

Maybe easy for you!

That's correct - once the sample size is above 365 (365.25 including leap years?), the probability approaches 100%.

8. HEX

HEX New Member

I once greeted Royal Bank of Canada as Royal Bank of Scotland in an email.

9. AwareDari

AwareDari New Member

When the cringe is too hard.