FEATURED Size Me Up For Getting In

Discussion in 'Get The Job' started by Trigger, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Trigger

Trigger Blessed

Alumni:
    Cass
    Industry:
    Technology
    Title says it all. If you'd love to have some feedback on the chances of breaking into a certain role given your current situation/background, fire away at this thread!

2. Baz

Baz New Member

Hi, comming from a semi target (KCL) with no finance related work xp, what are my chances?

3. Trigger

Trigger Blessed

Alumni:
    Cass
    Industry:
    Technology
    Depends: what other stuff do you have on your CV?

4. Baz

Baz New Member

Stuff like did a research placement in a university making auxetic carbonfibre and publishing a report also a national finalist at a national science comp. at the Exel in London. Mainly acedemic.

Done a bit of cricket coaching.

Code html, make webpages.

5. Baz

Baz New Member

Got AAA at A-levels, studying theoretical Physics. Motivation want to get some experiance and try something outside of scientific reseach, probably not good enough so I might have to change it!

6. Trigger

Trigger Blessed

Alumni:
    Cass
    Industry:
    Technology
    That's actually not bad at all (that carbonfibre stuff sounds interesting), you could definitely tweak these things into a way you can sell yourself. If you polish your CV to a max extent, get the competency questions right and prepare for online tests, you definitely have a chance at landing interviews. And yes you should work on crafting your story - gotta come up with some legit reason (other than just "trying something outside of science") on why banking/trading/whatever role you are aiming for.

Baz likes this.
  7. Baz

Baz New Member

Oh, nice made like a proper scientific report, so I have evidance. The placement was for one month btw.

The webpages were mainly for like practise, made one for a cabinets company though which is doing reasonably well.

Also done some odd retail jobs.

Invested in a few stocks and virtual currency.

I want to go for IB but I know its more competitive.

8. Trigger

Trigger Blessed

Alumni:
    Cass
    Industry:
    Technology
    IB and S&T are the same competitive, no difference between them. A few things:

- You should sit down, write everything out and see in which role you had the most responsibility (you have limited space on your CV so you need to prioritize). Creating a draft CV by the M&I template is a good start.

- Once you are at KCL make sure you join the finance club, they will help making the bulletpoints of your resume more punchy.

- You have a strongly quantitative background and would like to go into banking: it might be a good idea to reach out to people on LinkedIn who made the exact same jump. Start by alumni, probably a few of them will be glad to help you.

9. Baz

Baz New Member

Thanks you have been very helpful, however I do think the CV on M&I is a bit advanced for me yet as I dont have much previous experiance, also I am starting in september so I do not have my course marks but will learn how to code in different languages, so it would probably be better for applications to summer positions.

Will also be attending networking event such as the bright futures one where many of the big banks will be attending.

Also it may sound bad now, but I rejected UCL for KCL as their Physics course is more rigerous as the grades for both were the same.

10. Trigger

Trigger Blessed

Alumni:
    Cass
    Industry:
    Technology
    Knowing how to code in Python or C++ in itself won't help you much (basically at all) in landing an internship in banking (in trading it might have been different).

I know this is obvious but if you want to have the same career prospects you gotta make up for it, right? After all you decided to go the easier way.

11. Bushido Brown

Bushido Brown New Member

Hi,

Can you chance me please?

I'm off to Queen Mary university of London to study Mathematics this September. I've got average A-levels (A*AB), and failed to get into a target by 1 grade. All else equal, given that Mathematics is a solid subject will I be at a big disadvantage by going to Queen Mary and not my original choice UCL for Computer Science?

Thanks.

Quick question: Is Queen Mary regarded as a semi-target?

12. Mr. Exclusive

Mr. Exclusive Resident

Alumni:
    Oxford
    Not really. There is nothing to suggest that the university itself gives a candidate a better chance at IB than any other university. This is a difficult question because while it will be very difficult, it really depends on what you actually do at university and your profile overall. A post went up the other day with a link to some statistics stating that "University Reputation" is what employers worry about least and other factors such as work experience carry a lot more weight.

Trigger likes this.
  13. Trigger

Trigger Blessed

Alumni:
    Cass
    Industry:
    Technology
    The difference between UCL and Queen Mary is huge. To appropriately chance you, tell us more about your exact profile. What does your CV consist of?

14. yl95

yl95 New Member

Incoming fresher from a target, hardly any exp (wouldn't count the few insight days I went to - one at GS, one at JPM) , v. quantitative degree, not really sure about division still (depends on which half of my degree I want to take), quite a few academic achievements + EC achievements.

15. makrxx

makrxx New Member

Would be going to Manchester doing BA Finance/Economics & Finance. Did a Diploma in Banking & Finance previously.

Have done an internship in a securities firm handling mostly corporate action. Participated in couple of trading comps, not finalists but top 10. Only came in as finalist for a futures trading competition.

Heavily involved in my community/volunteering. Set up the Youth division of it, handled/organized many events etc.

What are my chances at all?

16. Trigger

Trigger Blessed

Alumni:
    Cass
    Industry:
    Technology
    I get that your a female (GS doesn't host these for males)? Thing is it's much easier to break into the industry as a female. There are exlusive programmes for you, you can network much easier, and there's also much less competition between gals (yet they hire as many as males). Not to mention you go to a target and it seems you have the ECs too. You'll be more than fine I can tell you that, just put the effort into it.

Send me your CV in PM it depends on how extensive these stuff are. Nevertheless it's not a bad profile at all - you can have a reasonable chance.

17. Ironmike

Ironmike New Member

What about me sir?

I'm probably the worst candidate on paper but I know I can still get into BB with some tweaking.

Alevels - BBD (Yeah I was ridiculously deluded)
    University - 1st class in finance from Coventry university

Personal : Competed in boxing for my university, have an instagram page based on boxing with 23k followers - I really love the sport. Started my own startup in my 2nd year of university : It gained a lot of interest but it still failed nonetheless. Oh yeah and I'm one of those lucky people who knew about bitcoin when they were worth $50, bought a few and sold it the week it surpassed the price of Gold.. Did a presentation in class explaining bitcoins to my lecturer and classmates at one of my Banking lectures and the lecturer did not know what bitcoin was :/

Was fun... Anyways sorry for the rambling - What are my chances of getting into IB? I have been cold calling VP's via Linkedin and in the past week, 3 of them have asked me to send my CV via email which i did. Out of the three, two of them stated that they will be speaking to HR about me .. Its been a week and I haven't heard anything since then.. I only asked for a 1 week job shadowing.

18. Trigger

Trigger Blessed

Alumni:
    Cass
    Industry:
    Technology
    Hmm.. Those A Levels are very shitty and your uni brand name is obviously not the greatest either -> not the kind of guy I'd like to work with or give responsibility to.

Indeed you have some interesting stuff (I dig that instagram boxing thing), but you shouldn't forget you are quite not the only one who has interesting stuff on their CVs. Even so, others have stellar academics and WAY better/more rigorous unis as well.

Keep in mind those VPs have a lot of stuff going on and some random uni kid is last on their priority list. I'd say wait another week, and then connect with them again - if they don't respond even after that, move on and work other contacts.

All in all I'd say your only realisic chance is to get into a good masters programme to rebrand yourself - not sure if networking could make up for your current situation, but let's hear @Paul Allen out.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  19. yl95

yl95 New Member

Thanks - yeah, there are tonnes of programmes for females, haha, so I might as well use that advantage (sorry, guys). Should I put programming experience? (Haskell, Java) At the moment, it's elementary but am learning quite quickly and I'm doing it at university anyway.
    In terms of sending off applications, how many should I aim to send off?

20. Trigger

Trigger Blessed

Alumni:
    Cass
    Industry:
    Technology
    By all means put it. Just write "Basic Haskell/Java skills" -> won't help much for banking, but if you are applying for S&T it definitely will to some extent. BTW I'd much rather concentrate on VBA if I were you - unless you end up on a desk which 1. either trades more technical products 2. or just something on the spot (cash equities), that's what you'll use.

There's quite a good amount of luck involved in apps, so you must aim for as many as you can but obviously quality over quantity.